Westchester Apartment Rental Info
Mount Vernon / Yonkers / Glenwood / Greystone (Westchester Apartments) Neighborhood Information for Apartment Renters
- Mount Vernon
- Named for President George Washington's home, this part of Westchester was originally settled in 1664. In 1852, a co-operative organization seeking to offer living alternatives to New York City laid out Mount Vernon as its currently known. This is a vibrant, polyglot city where 30% of the population is foreign born. Mount Vernon has struggled from time to time, and about 15% if the residents live below the poverty line.
- Yonkers is the 4th largest city in New York State. Glenwood and Greystone, comfortable, middle-class towns within Yonkers, sit along the Hudson River. Yonkers is hilly and reminds many of San Francisco. The highest point is 415 ft above sea level at the Sacred Heart Church, whose spire can be seen in New Jersey. It is a safe city, ranking near the bottom of the list of similar-sized cities nationwide in surveys of crimes reported against person and property. The present Yonkers was originally purchased from the Dutch government by Adriaen Van Der Donck. He was called Djonk Heer, meaning "young gentleman," and this has been modified through the years to become "Yonkers." The Irish came to Yonkers to work in the mills during the Industrial Revolution, and there remains a sizeable Irish presence. Yonkers also has a large Italian community.
- Singles / Families
- Mount Vernon: 30% singles, 70% families. Yonkers: 40% singles, 60% families.
- Types of Housing
- Both Yonkers and Mount Vernon are house-centered communities, but you can find mid-rise apartment buildings in Mount Vernon and high-rise condos, co-ops, and rentals in Yonkers.
- Typical Price Range
- Studios: $700—$1300, 1 Bedroom: $800—$1800, 2 Bedrooms: $1000—$2500
- Transportation to Midtown/Downtown
- Metro North rail takes you to Grand Central Station in Manhattan. Westchester's public bus service is called the Bee Line.
- Estimated Commuter time to arrival in NYC
- Yonkers: 25-40 mins. Mount Vernon: 29 mins.
Complete demographic information on these neighborhoods is available here.
Westchester Apartment Rentals
- Dobbs Ferry
- Mount Vernon
- White Plains
- New Rochelle